- Load Generator: virtual or physical computer with CPU and memory used to generate the load on your target web application. Those machines run the JMeter containers,
- Container: Designates a Docker Container. A container image is a lightweight, stand-alone, executable package of a piece of software that includes everything needed to run it,
- Agent: an agent is a docker container which communicates with OctoPerf servers to monitor your system and starts / stops the JMeter containers.
Docker has been chosen to run the agents because it provides numerous advantages:
- Easy installation: run an agent container within minutes,
- Portability: the container contains all the necessary packages and configuration to run the agent on any machine with Docker installed,
- Version control: we can manage several agent versions and upgrades are seamless,
- Lightweight footprint: docker containers are usually small and docker has minimal overhead compared to VMs.